Friday, September 02, 2011

Is leadership over-hyped?

Is the concept of leadership over-hyped? Over my past 4 years in a ministry training environment, that's a question I've asked myself and a skepticism I've put to many different of my thinking friends. My question is asked sincerely but also out of a sense of frustration. On the one hand, I know I'm called to follow God in such a way that I will also be leading others. Yet on the other hand, I have trouble identifying with a lot of what spoken of, exemplified, and taught in the name of "leadership."  The corporate world gives us the CEO example, the mega church gives us a super-pastor model, the para-church gives us the disciplined, respected, popular leader. I don't identify with any of them.  Honestly, I wonder how much Jesus or the disciples would have identified with these models.

Some of my friends are specifically and passionately pursing a "leadership" calling on their life and in some cases have done extensive reading on understanding how to be a leader. In my church, we often talk about "leadership gifts". We, the American church, have many different "leadership" conferences, summits, and seminars that are designed to take on "leadership" issues. There are a plethora of both sacred and secular books on how to be an effective leader. In spite of all this the church as a whole seems to have a dearth of good leaders. Many church leaders and well-known Christians say things like "the church needs more leaders!" or "there is a lack of leadership in the church!" I don't necessarily disagree. But I do wonder. Sometimes I wonder things like, "Are church spokespeople missing a bigger and simpler mandate than leadership? Are we elevating a secondary topic to a first place position? Are we over-complicating this?"

Jesus instructed his followers to do many things. Perhaps highest on the list were the verbs believe, love, abide, serve, and feed (i.e. Jn 3, 13, 15, 21:15-19). I propose that these verbs point to a main mandate to become spiritually mature in Jesus. As people of God, we are called to receive His grace and live it out. We are continually called to new and deepening levels of this receiving and living. I further propose that spiritual leadership comes almost naturally as an out flow of this kind of maturity in Christ.

I wonder sometimes if our approach to training leaders is akin to teaching a caterpillar to fly. Caterpillars as caterpillars are not equipped to fly. But, fly they will once their maker transforms them. Growing up and waiting are the key things for the caterpillar to work on, not flutter techniques. Perhaps those who assist the caterpillar should just be satisfied that the caterpillar will one day burst into flight. This is a simplification of course. I do in fact believe that there are learned leadership skills and techniques that are helpful. Yet it seems to me that 95% of spiritual leadership is simply spiritual maturity.  If believers and church leaders would focus primarily on growing deep in Christ, good leadership will emerge with vitality.

Show me someone who's body, mind, emotions, spirit, and relationships have been transformed by the Holy Spirit, and I will show you someone who is a good leader.  I would further wager that the biggest hindrance in my own leadership is not that I don't know what to do or how to do it. Rather, it stems a lack of maturity in several areas where God continues His work.  I need more of His love flowing through me, a deeper understanding of his abiding presence and father-love, a transforming desire from Him to serve, an excitement of being vulnerable in community, and a compassion to feed and shepherd!

Real leadership is excellent and we need it in our churches, yet I can't help but think that maturity in Christ is the platinum commodity.  What do you think?

2 comments:

One Busy Mom in a Great Big World said...

I completely agree with your take on this. This was something I really needed to read at this point in my life and am so thankful that you wrote this. May God continue to use you!!

Roy said...

I agree. Much of effective leadership could be summed up as Christ like and Wisdom... both major elements in maturity of all believers.