Monday, December 19, 2011

Walking with God is like a song

One topic I'm really interested in is preaching.  I want to know, how can we best communicate the truth about Jesus and who He is?  How can the words we use in a church service best be used to increase people's faith in God or encourage them in their walk with Him?   At this point, I don't preach often. I only get the opportunity to share in front of a group occasionally.   Recently, I uploaded all the sermons I have recorded copies of.  It's funny as I re-listened to them how encouraged (and how convicted) I was. It's interesting how the lessons of years past are so applicable to me here again at a new place in my own life.

Walking with God is like learning a song with many verses but the same tune repeats over and over again.  Although you're singing different words the second or third time through, you quickly realize the tune is the same.  At the end of the song, you probably don't remember any of the words except the first phrase, but that tune--well, that tune really sticks.  You learn the tune.

Walking with God is like that. The lessons God teaches you at one point in time He will often come back and teach you again. And again.  And again.

Some probably would say it is because we are "slow learners".  Yes, that is true.  But it goes deeper than that. I think God is very interested in a few core themes (things like His glory, His loving nature, Our need for Him, His desire for communion with us, His desire to redeem our world).  These things are the music.  In each verse, though, we experience the core truths of God in new (and deeper) ways.  New situations or new challenges in life bring different words to the same tune.  They add depth to the meaning of the tune.

That is how I feel when I listened to some of my old sermons.  If you care to listen, the sermons I uploaded are here: http://lifetothefull.sermondrop.com

3 comments:

Alissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alissa said...

I agree with you that walking with God is like singing a song and that every time you sing it you learn something new... you know all the words and the tune of the song-- but with each repetition more understanding is gleaned of God's nature, etc. That is an effective analogy:) Thanks!!

Alissa said...

I just listened to the sermon you gave about Mary and Martha--I really like that! I appreciate good reviews of Mary cuz I can relate to her:)