Thursday, August 30, 2007

Syllabus Shock

I learned a new term last week: syllabus shock. I think it takes its place with some of the other great shocks of the world (i.e. culture shock, medical shock, shock and awe)...It is a feeling of disbelief at the realization that you expected to complete more than 2000 pages of intense reading in the next 3 months; a feeling of numbness as you think about typing something like 100 pages of reports and papers; a feeling of soreness, as you haul a 2-foot stack of books home from the bookstore and then realize that you are still missing at least 4. It is a feeling of depression as you realize that you will not have a social life in the next three months. It is also a feeling of excitement at the fact that you signed up to participate in a 40 minute debate; it is a feeling of anxiety as you think about how you are going to tackle an open-ended research project with your 2 teammates. Yes, this is syllabus shock.

I really don't mean to complain...shocks are also very stimulating...you get a certain buzz when you see an overview of whole bunch of really interesting material that you will get to explore in depth over the next few months. The two solutions I found that helped mitigate syllabus shock were:
  1. Pray, casting your burden on the Lord, AND
  2. Drop a class (choose life!)
I felt much better after each action. ;-) If anyone's interested, I'm now taking the following four classes:
  • MIN5300: Foundations for Spiritual Development
  • ICS5030: Understanding Cultures and Worldviews
  • BIB5112: Genesis-Song of Solomon: God's Plan of Creation and Redemption
  • THE6310: Systematic Theology 1

2 comments:

amaryheart said...

Matt, wow, you are actually writing on your journal. Impressive! I can sympathize with "syllabus shock". I have also dropped 1 course (2 credits), so am now down to 5 courses. However, I wish I had the same excitement about studying my subjects as you have yours! Your classes sound so interesting!!! Especially Understanding Cultures and Worldviews. Anyway, have fun. :D Frequently, the verse, "It is good for a young man to bear the yoke in his youth" comes to mind in the midst of the insanity of life...

Sarah Grace said...

I still have syllabus shock - and I only have one class!!